Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limitation in Number of circuit breakers in a Lighting / Power Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickParker

Electrical
Sep 1, 2017
NL
I remember reading something about a change in the limit to number of CB's in panel? if the limit was/is 42 why do most manufacturers make 40 space panels? Where did the number "42" come from? Why not 48 or 50?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

36 x 15 Amps / 3 = 180 Amps
42 x 15 Amps /3 = 210 Amps
200 Amp panel size limit.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Same quantities of A, B and C phase circuits, so 24, 30, 42. Never saw a 40 circuit panel...uneven 3 phase circuits. I don't know what originally made the 42 circuit panel the limit for one can.

Mike

Single phase panels stop at 40 so that there are 20 on A and 20 on B. Three-phase panels put 14 on each phase. 45 wouldn’t make sense because the two sides wouldn’t be equal and 48 would be too much. Applies only to Lighting and Appliance (or some such, defined in the code) Panels, not all panels.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

NEC 408. 36 Exception No.2:
Exception No. 2: [highlight #73D216]Individual protection shall not be required for a panelboard protected on its supply side by two main circuit breakers or two sets of fuses having a combined rating not greater than that of the panelboard.[/highlight] A panelboard constructed or wired under this exception shall not contain more than 42 overcurrent devices. For the purposes of determining the maximum of 42 overcurrent devices, a 2-pole or a 3-pole circuit breaker shall be considered as two or three overcurrent devices, respectively.

I do not understand the Green highlighted. Can anybody tell me exact interpretation?

Hi Waross, find below the snippet of 408.36
408.36_ndj0sh.png

IIRC, the NEC was modified some years ago (2008??) regarding the 42 circuit limit. There used to be a distinction between "power panelboards" and "lighting and appliance" panelboards. I believe this distinction is no longer in the NEC. For new panel, I don't think the 42 pole limit applies any longer provided the panel is protected by a single main breaker.

Google is probably your friend here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back