Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting a radius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurs

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2002
CA
I am trying to add a radius between two faces

Regarless of what I try, I cannot confine the radius to just the edge shown in green. It propogates all away around the perimiter of the part.

How can the radius start and stop points be limited? I am using SW2009

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unchecking that box creates an error and tell me to use a face fillet but the face fillet creates the same problem

Change the order in which you are applying your fillets. Put the smaller edge fillets on last.

Pasting features over finishing fillets is a filthy habit, anyhow.

All the fillets were the same size, but changing the sequence did allow me to create the fillet after unchecking tangent propogation.

Is there some tips you can provide on the best methode in sequencing though filleting?

Is there some tips you can provide on the best methode in sequencing though filleting?

1) Learn what all of the options do.
2) Lots of practice.
3) The only rule that seems to stand the test of time is to put your fillets on the bottom of the tree.

Fillets have improved greatly over the years, but it's still sometimes a crapshoot getting your design intent into the model.

-b

spurs,

One thing I've found helpful in more than one CAD system is to try to build tangent loops when filleting/rounding. A simple example is creating a fillet on the four vertical edges of a square pocket in one operation and then adding another operation to add the fillet to the bottom of the pocket (with tangent propagation turned on you will only need to select one edge).

Yes, you could do this all in one operation but I personally find it cleaner to use multiple steps.

As a very, very last resort, (if none of the suggestions above have reolved your issue) there is a hack way to achieve what you are looking for.

Solidworks sees that edge as being continuous. You need to break the continuity.

Sketch a rectangle with one of its edges at the end of line you want to fillet.
Use Cut-Extrude to remove a small section of the model.
Add your fillet. It can't possibly propogate the fillet further because it isn't continuous.
Go back and extrude a section to replace the material removed from the cut that you made in the previous step.

Very last case. Very hack way of doing this. Apologize in advance to anyone who may have to go back and work on your model.

A variation of LManaco's solution is to split the part where you want the fillet to stop, create the fillet and combine.

Brad Stoner
Engineer/Product Development
Legacy Manufacturing

SWx 2006x64 sp4.0

Wow
It sounds like fillets are a thron in everyones sides. I was able to do what I needed by changing the filleting sequence. I have been working with Solidworks now for 7 years and I still find this the most frustrating part of building a model.

Thanks for all of your help

It is true that with SW we don't always get what we want (make a great song?!), but I am sometimes amazed what SolidWorks CAN DO. I have modelled some pretty intense castings, and let SW "have a go" with perfect results. It is the hit and miss that makes advanced modelling frustrating and compelling. Survey - who wants to go back to 2D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back