Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limits for tall columns H/L Ratios and Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbanda

Chemical
Sep 21, 2004
US
I'm looking for some overall reference for guideance for when it is economic to split a column into two or when you just make the design MUCH taller..

For example when you have a 1.8 meter 60 meter tall and want many more stages:
> is it still economic to go for 80 meters by 1.8 tall ?
> at that stage do you go for two 40 meter tall columns ?

> Or say for 100 meter tall columns etc..?

I guess it is always more cost effective to go with a single trayed column..but what really sets the boundaries..? civil foundations bending moments.. safe wind loads..as by the time you have purchased two columns, spare pumps etc.. the cost for two columns is much more.

I guess like a pen so to speak that you have limits which are unsafe to design..? it seems to make pratical sence for this.. I've yet to see a reference or guidelines I've only completed designs after the decisions were made about no of columns etc..

Comments appreciated..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually the major determinants are the properties of the inlet stream and, MORE IMPORTANTLY, the desired specifications of the product. Can you achieve the desired product spec with one tower? Also, you have to consider the pressure drop across the tower. A bigger tower means a higher pressure drop, a thicker and more expensive column (manufacturing and operating).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back