Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lindows OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

enbejay98

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2002
US
I am considering changing my OS, and have recently heard about Lindows, which supposedly uses the Linux kernel but has a windows type interface in addition to being able to use windows file types. Do any of you have any experience or information about this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say that you'd need to consider the history of OS2, which was of a similar nature in that it started out as a competitor to DOS and had a Presentation Manager to compete with Windows.

There are two issues with this notion:
1) Ease of user operation when switching from machine to machine. If you always do your work only on one machine or only with one OS, then there is no big issue. If your home machine is one and work is another, then you'd need to learn two, possibly, quite different programs and/or user interfaces.

2) While file formats are often claimed to be compatible, I've rarely found that to be 100% true. If you need to share documents with people running Windows, you may run into problems.

TTFN

If you are considering moving to Lindows, you should also check the compatability of your hardware. They make specific drivers for Lindows that are different than the ones that Windows uses.

I have never used Lindows. But I have used Gnome and KDE and I can tell you that the mainstream Linux environments (like what Redhat includes) look very much like windows. The hard part is downloading all of the drivers for your system and some things need to be performed in command line.

Also remember that Lindows is available only in purchases of 10 units or more for use on pre-built systems. They have indicated that they "may" release the code to the street early in the year, but system components and configuration is still the big problem. If you do buy a pre-built system, the Licensing agreement does say that you can use the program on any other system you would like, but they will not certify or guarantee performance or operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back