Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Pipe MTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

robb4

Petroleum
Jul 24, 2009
NO
Dear all,

I have to prepare a material take off for line pipe to be used offshore.

My question is regarding spare quantities: is there any standard, guidelines or recomended practice I could use to estimates occurency of wet buckle, spare for welding qualifications, damage due to pipe handling... ?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1%, 2%, 3%, 5% are typical factors used depending on your interpretation of the elevation profile knowledge, combined degree of difficulity of the work, material, OD and wall thickness, water depth, transportation, weather conditions, contractor's equipment and experience factors and the difficulty of time to procure and deliver more of the same pipe to your work location if needed in a hurry.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

In absence of detailed cut sheets I normally specify 2.5% rounded up to the nearest number of pipe lengths for every size. But that's for pipe spools, not pipeline laying.
Out of curiosity, do you qualify welders when you're on the rig, offshore? What happens if a welder fails his test?

1.) Test on/before hire.
2.) You don't want to know.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back