Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line rupture scenario with PHAST

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTONE

Petroleum
Sep 29, 2005
FR
Dear all,

I have a 'fast to answer' question related to PHAST (DNV software).

In order to simulate the line rupture of an infinite length gas pipeline, we used PHAST with the 3 following main settings (values are given for information but are not important for answer):
- Type of vessel : pressurised gas
- Mass inventory of material to discharge : 1E9 kg (maximum value accepted by software)
- Line length : 1000 meters

The idea being to consider the main part of the pipe as a vessel linked to the discharge orifice by the way of a 1000 meters line.

The question is : My co-worker told me that when the 'line rupture scenario' is selected in PHAST, the software considers a rupture in the middle of the line ( which in our case would give a vessel linked to the dicharge orifice by a 500 meters line).
IS THIS TRUE ??????????

I ask it because I obtained the same results than PHAST but with another software which doesn't consider a line length divided in 2 (keeping the 1000 meters of line).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi there,

Your co-worker is totally wrong. PHAST allows you to simulate the rupture point wherever you want in the line and also take friction losses into account. Go to Help/Tutorial, there is a simple example relating to Line Rupture Scenario for your reference.

Good luck.

Process Engineer in Vietnam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back