Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Line tripping on transformer inrush

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamburgerHelper

Electrical
Aug 20, 2014
US
Is there anyway to get around a line with 9 or so transformers from tripping out on inrush? I know that you have to hit it just right for it happen so it is kind of a rare bird. Do some people use harmonic restraint, time overcurrent curves, or just a delay to give the inrush a chance to decay some before making a decision as to whether to trip out or not? The inrush is tripping out phase distance protection.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think phase distance protection usually has a harmonic restraint setting. It can however have a time delay setting. Do you have a oneline or a sketch of this system? You have 1 line with 9 transformers fed from it. Is the distance relay protecting the line or the transformers? Which direction is it facing?

No, our distance relaying doesn't have harmonic restraint but I was thinking that something like that could be used because you see it in transformer protection relays. The line tripped on reclosing on a long forward looking zone that was long enough to see the inrush.

Possibly shorten the zone 1 distance zone so it falls short of the transformers and add a zhone 2 distance zone with a time delay longer than the inrush?

JG2828 said:
No, our distance relaying doesn't have harmonic restraint but I was thinking that something like that could be used
Call and sell that to the SEL/Basler/GE development teams. [atom]

Do you have a magnitude/time estimate for the transient during reclose? What does the TCC for the relay look like and how adjustable is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back