Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linear Rubber Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksb24

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2015
US
Does anyone know where I can find or how I can design the plastic/rubber seals described in this article? Article is "Key Linear Motion Design Details For Harsh Environments" by linearmotiontips.com

Screenshot_5_ur2vkv.jpg

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you just need one, you can't design it. You would need custom extrusions and plastic/rubber pieces, etc. It would be cost-prohibitive.
How about just buying an actuator that already has it? There are quite a few. RoboCylinder off the top of my head for electric, MY2 series from SMC for pneumatic.... etc.

@handleman

I am interested in using a seal like this for a manual position slide table that does not require an actuator. The slide table will not be in an environment that requires high levels of sealing, I wanted to use this more for aesthetic purposes. Do you know of anything I can relatively easily design or something off the shelf that could be used to achieve this? I have attached an example of a similar design.

Screenshot_16_dli32e.png

Again... How many of these are you doing? You can't just buy a seal. You have to have the special "slider" that can lift up the seal ahead of the slider and put it back down afterward. These are usually integrated into the carriage of a purchased actuator unit. You'd have a better chance purchasing an off-the-shelf slide table that already has the seal and adding your crank to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back