Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linear scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ble31980

Structural
May 31, 2007
US
I came across the phrase linear scaling when reading some material about structural analysis and load distribution and I have not been able to find out what the phrase means. Does anyone have a definition? I have asked a few people at work and they are not familiar with the phrase, so I am wondering if it is also known as something else? Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow, this is done in so many situations that it's hard to know which you're looking for. Examples:

Say I know that the deflection for a steel beam due to 1.5 kips/ft is 1.25 in. and want to know the deflection due to 2.0 kip/ft. Linearly scaling it up: 1.25 in. (2/1.5) = 1.67 in.

Loads are linearly scaled up using load combination factors.

If the moment of inertia for a 6 in. wide plate is [whatever], then the MOI for an 8 in. wide plate is [whatever]*(8/6)

If a 2 lb sinusoidal load causes 0.5%g acceleration, then a 3 lb load causes 0.5*3/2

The examples are endless.

Sorry for the ambiguity of my post. Specifically, I saw this when reading about the distribution of loads in a braced frame structure. It was refering to taking the total vertical load of a structure and determining the load in a brace member by linear scaling of the force. Hope this clarifies my question. Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back