Linear Snap-In dampening Coupling(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helepolis

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2015
IL
Hi all,

I'm looking to couple two, linearly reciprocating, rods (10mm dia.).
There are a couple of catches though:
[ul]
[li]I'm looking for a coupling that has a dampening capabilities in the direction of the movement (along the axis of the rods).[/li]
[li]The coupling action has to be perpendicular to the axis of the rods (something similar to the coupling in the attached image).[/li]
[li]The coupling should be in the form of Snap-In, meaning that with sufficient force the coupling is engaged and disengaged.[/li]
[/ul]
GN_240-Quick-fit_couplings_hat7uk.jpg

Is there anything that resembeles what i have described or I'll have to design something by my own?

Thanks,
SD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know how much damping, travel, force, etc that you need but could you combine a rubber mounted rod end with a clevis joint to get what you need?

rod_end_ri14ou.jpg

Clevis_aehe0s.jpg

"its a far cry from what I'm looking for in terms of functionality and dimensions."

I don't think I'm sure I don't have a good PICTURE of the functionality and dimensions you require.

What do you mean by "dampening" ?
- Materials with hysteresis to convert some energy into heat
- some flexibility to soften impact loads a little bit
- both

Is there an axial stiffness requirement (probably minimum I'm GUESSING) amongst the functionality requirements?
Are there maximum ± axial loads that must be endured once, or 75 times per day forever ?
What are the possibilities that loading may occur that tries to un-snap the lateral assembly snap? I'm thinking unexpected bending, for one.

It's funny, they asked for something 10mm in diameter that dampens axial motion and can be installed by being pressed on perpendicularly and I showed a product that meets 100% of those requirements and then my suggestion got called wrong. C'est la vie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back