Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linearized stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

repalle

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2009
US
Hi,
I am a new user of ANSYS. I have axisymmetric plane 42 model (represent pipe wall section). I am getting linearized stresses at bottom, mid point and top of the pipe wall thickness. However, I want to get one set of linearized stresses across a cross section. How do I get that?

Thanks
chandra

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Review the Ansys help menu for Path operations. You can define a path through the wall of your pipe based on nodes and plot the linearized stresses along this path. Depending on how you define your path, Ansys will interpolate between the path points when plotting the linearized stresses and give you a relatively smooth curve from the inside pipe wall to the outside. You can also have Ansys list the linearized stresses along the path, but you will only be given data at the points defined when creating the path.

You are hereby forewarned. I assume that since you are doing this for a pipe, that this is an ASME application. If so, know that the ANSYS linearization routine for calculating SINT or SEQV is NOT compliant with the new Division 2, Annex 5.A.

Apologies for not knowing or providing a reference, its late and I am not at work to check this.

But, I was speaking with Ansys on this issue and was told that the default setting for linearized stress calcs on axisymmetric models does not satisfy ASME. However, a keyoption has been added that resolves this issue, you just have to set it.

I am not 100% sure, as I have not had time to check into it. The Ansys theory manual does show the theory behind setting the new keyoption, if I remember I will post back with the blurb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back