Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lining up xrefs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjdavies

Electrical
Jul 20, 2001
US
Hope you can help me, I have a floor plan onto which I have drawn a ceiling grid. After isolating the ceiling grid layer I wblock it to a file called ceilgrid so that it is available to other drawings I am producing on the floor plan. When I xref the ceiling grid into the floor plan it comes in but is not lined up correctly whith the floor plan drawing. How do I set up so that whenever I xref the ceiling grid in it is always lined up with the floor plan?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you wblock a drawing, you are prompted for the insertion point. It is good practice to specify "0,0" so that when you insert (or xref) it into another drawing, and use 0,0 as insert/reference point, it will come in at exactly same coordinates as original drawing. Or if two drawings are not on same coordinate system, you will just need to use a common reference point. For example select top right corner of grid when wblocking, select same point upon insertion/xrefing.
Hope you can follow this and it answers your question.
Carl

Carl, thanks for your prompt response. I am inserting all xref at 0,0 but they do not line up. i have been into each drawing and set the base to 0,0 by going to draw in the menu then block then base and stting to 0,0. I am obviously doing something wrong. Maybe I have to set all to 0,0 on a common referance but am not sure how to do this.

Don't know why xref's wouldn't exactly overlay if on same coordinate systems - and nothing got moved, butI do have one idea. Your snaps can override coordinates you enter (I think there is a system variable to prevent this from occuring). Try inserting with all running osnaps off.
If this isn't it ????????
Carl

Hi carl
I do know why your xrefence is not lining up, if you use 0,0 when creating your xreference then your xrefence must be inserted into your floor plan at 0,0 or else they will not be aligned, also make sure that your ucs is set to world when you are inserting your xreference. For some cool tips on xrefenceing see my response to ME26. Good luck
Mr_xlr8
P.S the idea of using a grid is spot on, its an excellent practice.

I think that Mr_xlr8 has the answer. It's a good idea the make sure that your UCS is set the the WCS and that you have a top view whenever you WBLOCK, INSERT, or XREF. The ACAD 13 or 14 docs even state that your results will be unpredictable if you do not. Also always pick 0,0,0 for these in and out operations. I doubt that there is another reason.

Thanks all for your advice, I think one of the problems is that I receive drawings that have not been set to 0,0 . What I wish to do is amend the received drawings to a common referance of 0,0. Can you help on this one.
Thanks again for your much needed assistance on this.

here's one way
go into a the floor plan(or any drawing) and draw a line from 0,0 to a specific corner or something on the building.
Copy and paste this line into each drawing making sure the 0,0 point is always on 0,0. Now you can tell if they are lined up. It the other end is landing on the same point of the building, your ok. If not, move the building, leaving the reference line alone, to the end of the line like it is supposed to be.
Now all the drawings should have the same corner of the building in the same spot.
hope this helps
chris

Help me understand why you would wblock out the grid to a separate drawing so that it can be xreffed into other drawings. The ceiling grid should be drawn in a baseplan, so that updates can take place more efficiently and that information is available to other team members. Once you create 2 places for information to exist, you are more likely to forget about updating something. Maybe I am looking at this example incorrectly, but I would be glad to explain more about organized drafting of baseplans.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back