Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Link to a video - Bernard Charles clearly says "SolidWorks will adopt the V6 technology everywh 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBaugh

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2001
US
I posted recently at the Solidworks Forum a post on "The Future of Solidworks". I got a lot hits about how SW is here to stay from a lot of DS\SW managers. Now we proof that DS\SW is still moving forward with the V6 version of SW. You can check out my posts at the SW forums or you can check out the links below showing the video.

Entire video

Judge for yourself and you ask Solidworks where are we heading... because they are not telling me.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
GEASWUG Greater Evansville Area SWUG Leader
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Could also be a case of the left hand (SolidWorks) not knowing what the right hand (Dassault) is doing.

I have no doubt that the new program will be way more powerful than the current SW version, but the lack of open and accurate information between Dassault, SW & SW users is unforgivable.

Thank you CBL, that is one of my points I have been trying to point out toeveryone without actually saying it... maybe I just should of said it like that! [lol]

[cheers],

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
faq731-376

CBL,

That is well said.i've thought the same thing. The problem is... will it deliver that power with the same (or better) User Interface we all know and love as well as with LESS bugs and more STABILITY?

Hi Scott. Just to clarify, the current SolidWorks tools you and others use today will continue to be based on Parasolid. That's not changing. Future products built on the Dassault Systemes 3DEXPERIENCE Platform, such as SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual, will leverage the CGM kernel. Bernard was saying that we are moving away from Parasolid as we develop new products.

Matt / SolidWorks

So to make sure I am clear... DS is going to continue to make and upgrades SW for many years to come on the Parasolid Kernel... Plus DS is going to create something else similar to SW but on a different kernel and give it a new name?

If that is true, will SW ever be able to take advantage of multi-cores since the Kernel is 20+ years old and built on old technology?

I do hope you understand I am not trying to be a pain, I am just trying to figure this out to make sure we at making a good investment here.

Thanks for your reply Matt!

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
faq731-376

Scott, you have the gist of it. The only clarification I'd make is that we will be releasing several new products based on the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform in the coming years, not just one. SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual will be the first to be released.

As far as multi-processor support, I'm not really qualified to answer that question with a firm yes or no. So as far as the current SolidWorks CAD program, the answer I'd give is something like "hopefully." I know the R&D group has been able to add more multi-core capabilities to drawings functionality, as well as some of the simulation/validation tools. I also know it's something they think about constantly, but there are some limitations imposed by using third-party technology components, as well as the fact that the basic CAD solver processes are very linear in nature.

Here's how Jon Hirschtick once explained it to me. In a lot of ways, it's like baking a cake. You have to start by mixing your flour, eggs, sugar, etc. Then you have to pour that into a pan. Then you have to bake it. Then you have to let it cool. Then you have to ice it. There's no way to break those out into a series of steps that can be performed concurrently by multiple chefs. I know that probably sounds like a gross oversimplification, and it kind of is, but hopefully you can get where I'm coming from.

I just hope they do all of this for the right reasons! The way I see it is that they reached a point with SolidWorks where the development may be very expensive without directly improving their revenue. And since the competition is now moving in other directions they need a fresh start to build something with more potential. SW is a very mature product but at the same time is old so I'm pretty sure any new programming must be made very carefully just not to mess everything else.

When I want to see this in the most positive way, I want this coming change to be like if we where now moving from working with a horse to working with a tractor. It may be hard to believe in the new technology because it's unproven and raw but after a while I hope the change will be worth it.

A darker view would be that Solidworks is keeping too many users away from more expensive products from Dasseault and they want to get rid of it. Even more so since they must be paying a bit for the use of parasolid to their competitor along the way.

But hey what do I know!

Patrick

Thanks for clearing that up Matt, I think you answered that about the best way you could without telling everyone the Top Secret info that Solidworks is keeping. I do appreciate your patience and cooperation.

I personally invite you to visit our facility any time you make it out to this area of world. Richard Doyle, Matthew Lorono and Gian Paolo Bassi will be out here on March 21st next month.

[cheers],

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back