Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked Sketches

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
When creating parts, we often copy sketches from other parts to use as references. We copy a sketch and then change all the dimension formulas to be interpart references to the original part & dimension. When copying a sketch from part 1 to part 2, we never do the "Copy Resolved Geometry" option because part 2 already contains the geometry needed to resolve the sketch from part 1. We just have to select the correct curves for "External Reference" to complete the copy.

I think this is a poor way to achieve our goal. If we select the "Copy Resolving Geometry", the external geometry is brought in as linked to the original sketch. Linking to the original part is really the goal...if the geometry changes in the original, we want that included in the 2nd part as well. The issue is that only external geometry gets linked...not the copied sketch itself. I feel like somehow we need to use the Wave Geometry linker and/or the create interpart link function, but we cannot get what we want.

The ultimate goal is get a copy of a sketch from part 1 into part 2 where changes to the original sketch automatically get incorporated into the new part. What is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that making WAVE copy of sketch will work for you. Such copy will repeat all changes made to the original sketch.
Insert > Associative Copy > WAVE Geometry linker. Then in "WAVE Geometry linker" make sure to pick "Sketch" as a WAVE link type, not the "Composite curve".

Industry creates wealth!

It appears the only way to make that work is from the assembly view when both pieces are in an assembly.
If (for example) Assembly 1 contains Part1 & Part2. I make Part 2 the work part and then select the Insert - Associative Copy - WAVE Geometry Linker - Sketch. I then go and select sketch 1 from Part 1 as the sketch I want to link/copy. This results in a link to Part 1 Sketch 1 in Part 2. That works great, but what if the part I need to copy isn't in the assembly? Now say
Assembly 2 contains Part3 & Part4. In Part 3 I want to link to the same Part1 Sketch 1. However Part 3 and Part 1 are not in the same assembly. It seems you should be able to create a link independent of an assembly?

Sure there is a way. But I think you need 'WAVE control' license for it, although I am not 100% certain.

Anyway, the command you need is available in so-called 'WAVE mode'. To activate it, you need to right-click in the Assembly Navigator (not on the part node, simply somewhere) and make sure WAVE mode is selected in the contect menu. When it is activated, right-click on the part node in the Assembly Navigator and select WAVE. In the WAVE menu you have options 'Copy geometry to part' and "Copy geometry to new part'. They do what you need - WAVE link independent of the assembly. The only diffrence from the WAVE link in the assembly is that it is position-independent. In other words, it will repeat the shape of the sketch, but not follow change of it's position. I hope this helps.

Industry creates wealth!

There is nothing stopping you from creating a 'dummy' Assembly in which all four parts are in the same Assembly positioned relative to each other, then create your links between the various Component parts and then once you've got what you want, save your four parts. Now when you can open either of your original two Assemblies and the links will still be there. As for the 'dummy' Assembly you can keep it or pitch it. The WAVE links between parts are just that, BETWEEN the parts. Once the WAVE links have been created and parts saved, the Assembly does NOT need to even exist anymore. Granted, that original 'dummy' Assembly did define the spatial relationship between the parts but if there's no need to change their position relative to each other, the Assembly can be dumped as WAVE links are 'peer to peer', that is they only exist in the parts themselves and the Assembly that was active when you created the links played almost no role whatsoever is the actual creation of the links. It's just the only mechanism that we have in NX where two parts can be open at the same time so that I could be working in one part file while picking objects in another part file. And there is NO need for the WAVE Module to do this since anyone with an Assemblies license can create WAVE Linked models. Granted, the WAVE Module provides some additional functions most for controlling when and if links update and so on, but to actually create WAVE links all you need is NX running in Modeling with an active Assemblies license.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back