Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Item #'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

jloeff

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to link an item # from a BOM to another drawing?
We model up our assemblies, then create a layout with a BOM. After the layout is approved, detail drawings are created of each component. I would like to have the item # in the layout BOM reflect the detail # of each drawing. Is ther an easy way to do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only simple way I can think of is to have the Component drawings be sheets of the assembly drawing. I personally would not do it that way.

The only suggestion I have would be to keep your layout drawing associated with the assembly, then in your part drawings manually reference the BOM numbers. I'm not sure you can associate this type of information across different drawing files.

"But what... is it good for?"
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

jloeff,
You say, “I would like to have the item # in the layout BOM reflect the detail # of each drawing.”

Could you explain what you mean in more detail?

Bradley

jloeff
Item numbers are meant to be just a simple way of cross-referencing a part in the graphics area to the more detailed information in the BOM ... description, part number, drawing number, etc.

I think you are asking for trouble if you do what you are trying to do! If you subsequently change the assy by either deleting or adding a part, or just by changing the order of parts, the Item # in the BOM will change, subsequently changing all your drawing numbers. That would make for a drawing tracking nightmare! How would you handle multiple instances of a part that appears in different sub-assys?

A safer way is to assign each part a unique part number, in the custom or config props, so that the BOM will call up that part wherever it is used.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[bugeyed] I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose [shocked]

I don't know how to automatically do this, but you might try making a custom property in your part file, and have a field in your detail/shop drawings link to it. I was thinking about doing something similar, except I wanted to have a "Page #" Field in the BOM.

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back