Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Model properties & Drawing properties for PDMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

69Camaro

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2004
US
Model properties and Drawing properties seem to be independent. 99% percent of the time they are the same. Is there a way of tying them together when entering the information for use in PDMW. This would reduce our entry time and decrease our error/inconsistancy rate.

Currently our drawing fields are propogated from the models/configurations properties. Is this a good practice?

The 1%: Some times there are text changes on the drawing that do not effect the model but does warrant a rev letter change in the drawing. It is probably bad practice to break the syncronization of rev letters but sometimes limited time makes breaking the link and not updating the model very tempting.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

69Camaro,
I would say do not have different revisions for the drawing and model. It does not that much more time to change the model.

Extra thoughts:
We do not keep our drawings and models version number the same. Although I would like too keep the revision and version the same. Never saw a good enough reason to enforce that policy. Our revision and version look like this, R01-02. The R01 is the revision which changes with ECN and the -02 changes just because. Our Drawings have $PRP:”REV” which is not supported by the PDM. We force everyone to run a Visual Basic program to read the revision R01-02 and remove everything at the dash and beyond.
I hope this helps.

Bradley

I find it better not to link properties from file to PDMWorks. I have had too many errors and links updating when they are not suppose to. I will wait until 2005 version and see what has changed. Models and drawings should always have rev's match, even if just dwg changes. This minimizes confusion for other users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back