Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lintel to Jamb Stud Out of Plane Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesur

Structural
Jun 25, 2019
US
We got an RFI recently asking if we could change the A35 clips connecting the lintel to jamb studs for out of plane loading to LTP clips. The contractor is arguing that "no one else requires this" and "the tolerances are too tight to fit the window with that clip there". First I want to point out how impressed I am that they are able to construct something to such tolerances to have a window fit perfectly every time when there are hundreds on these projects. Second, the "example detail to backup their claim" from another project (and engineer) they referenced also required the A clips - maybe they had an RFI letting them remove them, not yet clear. I cannot see any possible way a LTP clip can transfer out of plane forces (except through plate bending) between the lintel and jamb. The end nails are mostly for construction, but can provide a bit of capacity, but typically not enough, hence the A clips. I have attached an image of the typical way we detail these and what the contractor wants. Anyone have any other alternative connection ideas for out of plane loading since they "don't have room for the clips to fit"?

Capture_dbtgzr.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The rough opening is usually 1" bigger on all sides to allow for shimming and plumbing of windows or doors. So I'd call them out on that argument. To be honest, I tend to count on the end nails for standard sized windows, 48" and less, but require more robust connections for larger windows. Also in the situations where I have larger windows I tend to require horizontal sills to deal with the out-of-plane loads.

The load varies by opening size, as jayrod12 noted, we typically don't require the A clips on smaller openings where the end nails work. Middle size openings we use an A clip on top of lintel and where we have larger openings and much higher out of plane forces we require multiple A clips. I will look at toenails, however I suspect they will have some excuse for that not being an option too...

@jayrod12 - I agree with the bigger on all sides, I have never seen an instance where this wasn't the case - we have called them out on this already and yet they still push for an alternate connection. There must be more to this than they are telling us.

Aesur said:
I suspect they will have some excuse for that not being an option too...
Toenails seems to be the standard connection for this unless the loads are huge. Even at 1k, (10) toenails should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back