Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Linux Installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrish

Electrical
Sep 7, 1999
FR
I installed the Linux distribution Mandrake 6.0 on my PC, but I can not get LILO to run on my LINUX partition (I'm currently forced to boot from diskette). <br>
I use LINUX in parallel with Windows NT so that I can't install LILO in the boot sector of the first bootable drive.<br>
<br>
Any tentative to configure LILO, using LILOCONFIG fails, the system telling me that ther's no bootable sector on my disk<br>
Any hints?<br>
<br>
Thank's in advance<br>
<br>
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For me the easiest way to dual boot is to boot LILO from a floppy. I make a backup so I always have 2. LILO must be in a certain location on the drive and I never wanted to deal with it. Its great just to throw in a floppy and let it boot. I use Redhat 5.2 and the install program asks at a certain point if you want to make a boot floppy.

Windows NT does not like LILO. If you did manage, Win NT would probably refuse to work. I have seen this happen a couple of times. My advice, stick with the floppy.<br><br>Troy

I am not sure of this, but NT should be able to handle the dual, or in your case triple boot of those OS's. I have never done this as I subscribe to the belief that each OS should have it's own computer to live on. I have heard and read a number of&nbsp;&nbsp;stories about the problems of getting OS's to coexist on the same equipment. These days, picking up some older equipment that linux runs on can be had for a very reasonable price, so just give the fast hardware to windows and the rest to linux. that is what I did, and everything runs great.<br><br>That's my two cents worth,<br><br>Troy <p>Troy Williams<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I am a recent Mining Engineering Graduate with an interest in Genetic Algorithms, Engineering and Computers and Programming.

linux installation invariably comes with problems . If you cannot load LILO into the first sector of your boot partition then the only thing to do is to load an OS manager like linload or maybe windowslinux or so on ..these allow you to switch between linux and another OS ( DOS or WINDOWS(3.1/95/NT) by just clicking an icon<br><br>The one disadvantage is that this will require you to start up windows first and then restart for linux.<br><br>when you run linload the system restarts with linux loaded<br><br><br>hope this is helpful..

I was always wary of LILO and used the floppy method for dual booting. However, I did a hard drive upgrade from Redhat 5.2 -&gt; 6.1 and LILO installed itself. At first the default boot was Linux but I easily changed it in the lilo config file to default to windows. I like it, the convenience is nice. I'm using an old Pentium 100 with Windows 95b and RedHat6.1. I have no conflicts with either OS. I especially like being able to access my Windows drives from Linux.<br><br>If you are the conservative type, stick with the floppy, but I would make a backup, I have had floppys go bad.

There is actually a quite good &quot;mini-HOWTO&quot; on using Linux with NT, it's installed with RedHat and Mandrake distributions at least. Otherwise look at the &quot;Linux documentation project&quot;.

I'm using Win98, WinNT and Mandrake on the same PC - no problems at all.

Procedure:
1) Partiton hd(s), remembering that NT does not read fat32, W98 not NTFS, fat16 max 4Gb etc. Plan the approach... :)
2)Install Win98 first on the first partition.
3) Run WinNT installer from CD, _do_not_ run the 3 boot-dicettes. Install on your planned partition. Now when you boot you have the option of using WinNT/WinNTsafe or Windows, from the NT bootmanager.
(3b Run the discmanager on NT to let it &quot;sign&quot; the discs - no problem. You should always do this)
4) Insert Linux distribution, boot from CD or dicette. Install as usual. When Lilo-configuration pops up...
5) Install Lilo boot loader on the partition where you have Linux installed, not the &quot;primary partion&quot;.
6) Setup Lilo to boot either Linux or Windows. When you choose &quot;windows&quot; you will enter the NT boot-loader, there you can choose NT or win98 as per point 3.

Looking at the Linux-NT &quot;mini-howto&quot; you will learn how to make the NT boot-loader to recognise Linux, but this is actually not a neccessary move.

good luck //Martin

If you will only use NT and linux, you should use the NT loader. You'll find all the info you need in the How-to's or in your documentation. I guess this is the easiest way to have NT and linux on one machine. Don't use LILO or another bootmanager.

have fun,

olivier

THIS SUCKER WORKS

hey everyone the best boot loader ive found is:

XOSL

its nice and easy boot up with a windoze 9x boot disk and the have it do the work for you. ... if you can read at a 6th grade level than you have it made.

It also has a nice GuI interface and you can set skins.

I have a problem to install RedHat7.1 on my second SCSI drive. The first one is occupied by WinNT. During install of RedHat I did not modified MBR. The boot disk was created but does not work :-( (Error message is something like &quot;Insert bootable disk and press any key&quot;). IS there any chance to setup LILO? Has anybody have experience with SCSI & NT boot modification (i found utility called BOOTPART, which could help)?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back