Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Linux OS choices (any suggestions) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzzjim

Electrical
Mar 15, 2008
GB
I have never been a Ubuntu fan ,and usually have non cutting edge (newer than 10 year old hardware !)
I have climbed my way thru
Minimalist Live cds , to installed Debian flavours
Thru Mint (fed up with no upgrade = re install)
concise versions crunch Bang , Bunsen Labs and currently
rolling release Arch derivatives Manjaro.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom on any other avenues to explore ?
( Where I may find unexpected gems in the repositories )
Like any typical "Poor" software description - my requirements are vague
and ever changing !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

understanding that you aren't a Ubuntu fan - give Xubuntu or Lubuntu a shot they both work relatively well on a little netbook I have from 2008/9. I used Bunsen Labs for a while which worked decently well for my needs. Rather than go with an Arch derivative you may want to explore a pure Arch install if you haven't already. If you can live with them some of the tiling window managers work nicely on older hardware.

I personally haven't used it but there is also puppylinux which I've always seen others recommend for older hardware.

There is also FreeBSD if you want to try something a bit different.

Open Source Structural Applications:

Mostly I use CentOS 6, mostly because it's trailing edge technology and very rarely kills itself.

I've just installed Xenial Pup 64 7.5 uefi on a thumbdrive, and it seems to be working well.
As with any Puppy, the pieces are small, and lightning fast if run from ram.

I've tried several Puppy variants that claim to be able to use binaries from other distributions like Debian and Ubuntu, and not been real pleased with the results when I tried to actually do that. Maybe I'm just holding my tongue wrong...

Mike Halloran
Stratford, CT, USA

Many thanks for you time , everyone so far .
Some possibles have been right under my nose ,
a less cutting edge solution may be a better bet for machines that occasionally stagnate !
( Mastering Live ISOs on memory sticks , has been a distro exploring godsend )

I'll be back.

zzzjim,

What do you want to accomplish? I run Fedora on most of my machines. I have an old hack machines I tried a bunch of installs on. I documented them and posted them on my website. Ubuntu is easily installed by ordinary mortals. Slackware should be left to server administrators. Fedora is okay.

--
JHG

@ drawoh.
What I like / need varies , I was enjoying Linuxes broad repo availability.
Not always installing an open office word-processor ,enjoying some programming environments.(PC nerd part of me dates back to PET Basic and DR-Dos,Win 98) I have some interest in Electrical engineering plc , CNC , home automation , but currently have no firm target ,just exploring the landscape - Like a hunter I may wander off at a tangent un-expectedly ! (Enjoying some up-datable security + occasional RasberryPi )

Wrote a good food guide in Linux in 2007. Many distros have gone but it still has some relevance.

I used to multi boot any Linux I could find and put all of them in a PC. Never have any loyalty to any particular distro.
Nowadays I use mainly Ubuntu/Mint as they get updated more regularly and have better support.

I've been happy with just vanilla Arch at home. I just wanted a minimal setup that forced me to learn more, so I installed Arch, copied here and there from a few people's setups that I liked, and then just kept tweaking. I mostly have an i3 setup, which works well.

Cheers EngrPaper , not re-inventing the wheel does sound an interesting journey !
With some Arch like experience already under my belt ,it is a logical step to try.

Many thanks for everyone's input.
(recent fumbling's betaflight -configurator ,chirp and kalzium old favourite )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back