Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquefaction from pollutant smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annlee

Industrial
Sep 13, 2015
ES
hello there :p

I am doing a home experiment to obtain pure liquid from smoke gas from: steam boiler vs car exhaust without gas loss, then will send to a lab to analyze its CO2 and others, I got a couple of questions:

- is this liquefaction experiment possible? (do I need to cool-up smoke before and how? is this smoke liquified-able...)

- which industrial device(s) to use? (cheap and small if possible, consider must absorb smoke continuously...)

Thank you guys ;)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

?? You do know that people just measure the gas directly, right? That's what the guy at the smog test place does every few years.

Liquefaction of CO2 requires cooling to -80C or so. Most of the other gases in air will need to cooled to below 77K

TTFN
faq731-376
Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Thanks for the answer,

yes, I know, but do point of my experiment is to measure it liquified

so I think I need kind of industrial chamber(s) and possibly other device(s), anyone help?

OK, so, as I said, you'll need to a way to get to the boiling point of at least CO2; if you want to liquefy everything, you'll need something that gets down to liquid nitrogen.

However, a much bigger problem is keeping everything liquid, which will require cryogenic storage containers, AND something that will active cool the liquids. This is not something that is easily, done in a commercial situation, much less a "home experiment."

TTFN
faq731-376
Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back