Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

liquid/paste silicone for titanium need to be easy to clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvofdon

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2007
hello all.

here is the situation,ive been in charge of a certain project at work for a future customer,the item we need to produce is a crome coating on a titatium hub for jet engines. the coating area is not a problem, but the main problem im having is finding an easy,cheap,very effective way to seal an area of the part that is getting covered with overspray from an air-plasma applicator

what im trying to find is a type of silicone or paste, that employes can apply and if needed be oven cured, that can withstand 300F and still be sealing the walls of the area of the part, we have tried termal tape (silicone with fiberglass reinforced)but the velocity of the overspray and the area of contact of the tape is very small therefor the tape lifted every time, we also tried a product called Mach Bloc, but due to its very high price,we need to find an alternative, i was thinking of maybe using some liquid gasket for manifold to engine block silicone, but i do remember it being a serious pain to clean.

basicly, i need a compound that can last up to 300f without peeling,provide great sealing, and easy to clean off and be very cost effectived

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

great product i will keep this information for flat surfaces,but the application i need it for is a filler for a grove with lots of precission holes inside, my idea would be to fill that grove with paste or silicone and cure it prior to have the coating applied. i belive the Kapton would be the same result as the thermal tape due to its poor surface contact.

thank you for the effort, i appreciate the link and will hold for future applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back