Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquid residence time for FKOD sizing? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renoyd

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2007
CA
Hello,
In my previous FKOD sizing experience, I didn't need to consider the liquid residence time, even the API recommended sizing method does not mention the liquid residence time requirements. In a recent heavy oil job, the FKOD is required to have 20 minutes residence time, is this normal? How to exactly define the liquid flow to the FKOD?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It dosnt sound like a KO drum - i assume its a horz. vessel?

20 min is a long time. The liquid flow will be a design basis. There are calculation methods for calculating the time gas bubbles takes to travel to the surface based on oil and gas properties.

Best regards

Morten

This is not unusual. I have seen 30 minutes. The time allows pumpout of the drum at a reasonsible rate to a slop tank. If there is a two phase relief then the answer is obvious. Even if the drum has only vapor relief there is usually condensation from saturated vapors after a reliving indident.

Yes,Morten, it's a horrizontal vessel.

Chemjock,
FKOD's are normally sized to remove 300~600 micron droplets, and enough vapor space will do. Flare stacks can normally handle the small droplets without problem. What does the residence time has to do with the settling of liquids and vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back