Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

liquid trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexVader

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
BR
Hi. I am trying to figure out what a "liquid trim" is. Can some1 please help and/or let me know about a site where I can see a picture of one.

Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a relief valve it allows the blow down to be controlled. The ASME code does not address blowdown for a liquid valve but due to customer's demands a "liquid trim" was developed. Basically the nozzle ring has a different angle and the huddle champer will be different from a vapor valve. Each manufacturer will attack the problem with their own design of these two areas.

Liquid trim in pressure relief valves was developed to meet the ASME Section VIII capacity certification requirements at 10% overpressure. Prior to liquid trim, the same valve was used for liquids and gas. Full lift on liquids service was achieved at pressures above 10% overpressure, usually around 25%. The liquid trim assured full lift by 10% overpressure. Blowdown can be adjusted in some models. Some liquid trim valves are also certified for gas service but the blowdown is usually longer. For services where either a gas or liquid must be relieved, or for some two-phase applications the liquid trim may provide better performance if a longer blowdown on gas is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back