List of ASTM killed carbon steels

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDermott1711

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2010
SG
Hi everybody,
I should be grateful if somebody reference me to a ASTM's list of killed carbon steels.
Thanks in advance.

Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While ASTM does define the term in A941 I am not sure that it is used in the steel specs.
I looked in a few that I know are deoxidized and didn't see the term used.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Thanks EdStainless and weldstan for your replies.
Actually, My concern is about a list of ASTM steels that are (explicitly or implicitly) killed (e.g. A106, A105, A234, ...).

Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

That is hte point, the modern specs are by and large not divided based on de-oxidation practice.
In many of those specs all of the grades will be killed, but the spec is worded to dictate the process, just the composition and properties.

P.E. Metallurgy

EdStainless said:
In many of those specs all of the grades will be killed

So, my question changes to "Would you please list those ASTM steels that are not killed?".

I don't think anyone has a readily available list on hand. Everyone would have to dig through the specs to make such a list. This is a lot to ask the patrons of a free public forum...

This isn't how they are arranged. You have to identify specs that might be used for you application. The look at them to see what steel making methods are allowed.
Or you just write your own purchase spec and say that you require "X, Y, or Z de-oxidation practice".

P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Depending on what specs could be appropriate, I find it quite handy to use ASME BPVC Section II. The majority of the ASTM specs that we use have been incorporated as an ASME material, for example, the cover page of SA-105/SA-105M states '(Identical with ASTM Specification A105/A105M-05)'.

Obviously your particular use case will dictate how useful this is, but because you only referenced piping materials that are all identical to the SA- specs, it could be a useful avenue to explore. I did a quick ctrl-F, and found that the word 'killed' shows up 44 times in BPVC.II.A.

The standard could be changed. For an example, the steel shall be killed as per ASTM A36 current edition. However, killed steel is the requirement only for thick plate as per ASTM A36 - 08.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back