Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Listing AISC Steel Construction Manual in specs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer

Structural
Apr 9, 2001
US
I'm reading through a specification for ASME Pressure vessels and it says the following codes and standards, utilizing the latest edition and addenda, shall be applicable to the design and construction of the equipment. It then goes on to list several codes and standards. Among them is AISC Steel Construction Manual (SCM). My feeling is it's not proper to do this. Most of the SCM are tables and design guides, not a spec. If you want someone to follow AISC 360 then you should say so but not lump the whole manual into your spec. I question if AISC 360 is appropriate for vessels anyway. This is more a question for the vessel folks, but what part of AISC 360 do you need for vessels that is not covered in ASME codes?

Just curious if other people have seen this. Do you think it is proper? If so, why? If not, anything other than what I've mentioned to convince a spec writer to not do this or do it differently? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's the problem? If the AISC Manual has one tiny nugget of information that clarifies or specifies a procedure or material for a tank support or plate, isn't it better to have it than to not have it?
And it's not only tables and design guides. It contains the Design Specification, with minimum welds, buckling rules, factors of safety and other steel design information. It might not address the same details that ASME does, but it's not chopped liver.

The vessel supports, the platforms, the framing - all of that is covered by the AISC Specification, so it's not irrelevant to vessels. My own specification drawing note says AISC 360.
Dave

Thaidavid

Jed, I realize the construction manual contains specs. That's why I made my comment about AISC 360. Thanks for your input. Just trying to get a feel for others opinions on the subject.

It should be referencing the specification, not the manual.
The manual includes all sorts of commentary and general recommendations - more like an educational/reference tool and is not written in specification-type language other than the spec section.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

As a vessel engineer, I can say that a lot of vessel engineers do not realize that the back of the steel book contains the AISC 360 specification. So when they want to make a reference they simply say AISC Manual, sometimes with the edition number, sometimes not!
I have also seen many pressure vessel specifications simply refer to the "AISC Steel Construction Manual".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back