lithium-ion battery buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachupirlo27

Computer
Oct 9, 2019
CH
Good day everyone

I am actually interested in Tesla batteries but you can apply the following question to all lithium-ion batteries:
Based on a paper it's known that a lithium-ion batterys life will be longer when you don't charge it to 100%. Even Tesla recommends not to charge the battery to 100%. So why is there no kind of buffer which stops the charging at 90%. I mean it's in best interest for the customer to have a long-living battery.

Of course I can imagine that it's sometines beneficial if you can charge your battery to 100% and use these extra miles. But normally I don't need a fully charged battery. Also, it's annoying to plug in your ev and then come back a few hours later to just plug out the charging cable so it doesn't hit the 100%. In best case you want just to drive home, plug in the cable and in the next morning drive away again.

Best regards
P27
paper source

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some chargers could do that, many don't. But, the bigger issue is the DOD is likewise a life-sucker, so limiting both SOC and DOD results in less capacity, so manufacturers would need to make the batteries 50% larger/heavier to provide the desire capacity; that's a lot of extra metal and cost, even assuming you could fit the larger battery in place.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

@IRstuff
Thank you for your answer.
I understand the problem of the engineers and manufacturers. I just would appreciate a option for a driver who can set the desired percentage to which one wants to charge the battery. One have to think for itself how much battery capacity it needs to drive the desired range.

Most chargers have internal SOC monitoring, but that doesn't mean that you are allowed to dink with that, since that's often implemented directly in hardware. Even the ones that do balancing of the cells don't necessarily have inputs to program the SOC.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back