Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: 200 mile automobile range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRocketScientist

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2009
US
Does this look legit to anyone? I smell DEEP AROMA of Bullsnort.

and

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO 4) batteries??

"Our SOLARIS EV® All Electric Sports Car Range: 200 to 300 Mile Per Charge Speeds: up to 140 mph this is a Custom Kit Car with many options: From Mega Economy Minded to Super luxury. "

200-300 miles per charge? En tus suenos.
Top speed of 140 mph? Payback in one year? Shyeah, right. Is that the flutter of monkey wings?

Guy wants my 19 yr old boy to "invest" money. I don't see ANYTHING they actually sell or do. I do see "Press Releases"... from 2008, name dropping "((BARACK OBAMA))"... Photoshopped pics of off-grid homesteads... "Up to [magic phrase of BS advertisers everywhere] 500 jobs for the Lansing area by late 2009" - Really, where are those jobs now that 2010 is... oh, about half over?

Tons of grammar and English errors on the web page:

"Announced [sic] Mass Store Unit for Large Energy Production Companies, Stores Surplus Energy at the low demand hours to be released at high peek demand hour’s [sic], The commodity traders will love this now that they can trade stored power, buy cheap at night and sell at peek [sic] demand value, This could possible [sic] be a charging center for portable or rental units Military Needs." [Wow, that's REALLY BAD English, and quite the run-on...]

They guy's wife is the company CFO... ages like 51 and 34 according to google search.

Just sounds way too fishy and pie-in-the-sky. If a 200 mile range electric vehicle were possible, a major player would be marketing that.

Dave Sterrett is the guy's name. Lansing MI.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And it does not say it has a 200 mile range while tarvelling at 140mph. It is quite possible it will only sustain 140mph for a few miles or do 300 miles at very low speed on a flat track with no change of speed.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

If there were a 200 mile battery mass producible at a reasonable price, the majors would be all over it. It would put the electric car on the map.

I'd be an electric car driver right now if (1) such a battery were available in a car I could buy at a dealership and (2) my power company would offer beneficial electric rates for charging in the wee hours of the night.

rmw

I'm not sure (2) is such a hard one. I've got a locked-in flat rate for electricity at $0.096/kWh... should compare quite favorably to buying gasoline.

I suspect the economics look even better for CNG with at-home fueling. I pay $115 for 80 ccf in a month, taxes and all included.

Either way, wouldn't it be cool never to go to a gas station again? Surely the time savings are not insignificant (especially when I wake up late on a Monday). Say it takes me 15min every 10 days to fuel my car - that's 9 hours a year... what would you pay to have 9 extra hours per year?

(maybe I should work on shortening my commute)

Ivy Mike,

I commute from the Hooks Airport area near Tomball to the Galleria area (~ 35 miles one way) with occasional side trips to the ship channel area once I reach the Galleria office. If I have to make the trek to the ship channel, I would be screwed with a 100 mile battery. That makes my commute for that day just about 100 miles even-if I didn't go out to lunch. I can just see sitting out on the beltway while trying to get home waiting for the solar collectors on the roof to recharge the batteries enough to get home - or pumping my pedal generator. HA

That is why I would want the safety of a 200 mile battery.

rmw

the volt might do it... but I've wondered (aloud at times) whether anyone would notice if I plugged in at one of the electrical outlets in the parking garage at work. I don't have an electric car currently... but it seems the sort of thing one might be able to do (except that an elec. car probably draws plenty of attention).

Waiting 4 hours for a full charge in that electric car will make your 15 minute fillup seem fast. But who takes 15 minutes to fill a tank with gas? 5 minutes max if I check the oil & wash the windshield.

We've got 1 Tesla roadster running around locally. Would be a very cool car if it cost 1/3 it's $109,000 base list price. Plus $3000 for the home charger.

I would say more like 10 min if you include slow down time, unbuckle etc, check you have the right nozzle for the fuel you want, fill, stand in que to pay, pay and get receipt, return to car, start and buckle up, move to road, wait for a gap in the traffic then accelerate away.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

"fill, stand in que to pay, pay and get receipt, return to car,"

That's funny. Around here you can't start the pump until you pay but I never stop anywhere that doesn't have a card reader built into the pump. It's real frustrating when it takes 5 seconds to authorize.

"luckily I get to sleep at home while the electric car charges, rather than standing around in the dark waiting to be mugged."

If you are lucky enough to make it home with that EV. Those range estimates are based on fairy tales: constant low speed driving in warm (but not hot) temperatures, down hill both ways. When they have one that will make my typical 600 mile a day vacation trip with the AC on in the summer up & down mountains with a full load for $30,000 I'll be interested. Not until.

I have to admit on my first trip to the US I was confused as to why the pump would not work until some guy locked in a pillbox hailed me with a loudspeaker and told me I had to pay him first. Like they say, Only In America.

Regards
Pat
for site rules

The automated self-pay filling stations in Switzerland that are incapable of giving change back from the money you feed it, even if your fill-up doesn't use up all the money, are even more bizarre (to the outsider). Basically it precludes ever filling up the tank until you go to a manned station. You are stuck putting in 5 or 10 francs at a time.

Around here, I just pay at the pump with my credit card. Back on topic, I don't see how any foreseeable EV that is capable of going the distances that I frequently need to go, is going to be suitable.

In this area of Socal, it is not at all uncommon to see a Tesla or a Ferrari on the freeway. Even saw Jay Leno in his McLaren F-1 once...Nice car, but on the freeway in Socal with a $5M auto?

To the point. The Socal Edison tried to convert all it's service fleet, pickups/cars, to EV a couple years ago. They worked great...with a few limitations [ ;o) ]. It seems that no one was smart enough to "read the manual" and almost every time the 'meter reader' got to my house the batts were dead. Each time this happened (well over a dozen, I might add) the tow service was sent to pick up the EV and deliver an alternate, gasoline powered replacement. Gee, it only took them a couple years to catch on. Ya gotta love California!

Rod

I looked for a photo from the Father's Day car show in Murietta yesterday...Couldn't find it (or didn't take it?).....However, it was a VW bug converted to EV with a bunch of lead/acid batts. Seemed like a nice conversion but probably a bit on the heavy side. Of course, next to it was a VW bug with a blown big block V8 and a Subaru powered VW. They made the little EV conversion look rather tame.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back