Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Live Trace Adobe Illustrators VEctors into SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightmetalworks

Industrial
Mar 10, 2007
US
Hi all! this forum rocks btw...
so my latest question is regarding adobe illutrator files.
I want to use the live trace feature of Adobe Illustrator to make vectors in illustrator and then to use those vectors in SW to make a sketch. Is this possible? I havent tried yet because Im busy with another project right now but its def been in the back of my head to figure out if thats possible and how? thanks in advance! -ethan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the Live Trace can be saved in ".ai" format, it can be opened into SW as a sketch. Once opened the geometry elements can be used to create a model or it can be copied (dragged and dropped) onto the face of an existing part.

Be aware though; You will not be able to use nested closed profiles in a SM part. SW does not support multi-body sheet metal parts.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

When you save the ai file you are given options. Make sure Use Compression is unchecked. Solidworks is unable to import the file when this compression algorithm is applied.

The tool works great. The only other problem you may run into is that somtimes closed vector loops may not come in as closed. This happens very rarely and is usually when the ai files contain very large sketches or very small line elements.

RFUS

I used to do it the old DXF way as well (back with SW 1997). But the DXF imported sketch had zillions of small lines and points, so I'd just trace over it with a spline, line, arc or whatever for good, clean, usable stuff (normally did this for logos, etc.).

The nice thing about SolidWorks is that there are normally lots of ways to do whatever you need.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

The AI file often comes in with loads of points, but they don't necessarily signify the end of an entity. They can usually be left intact or deleted without causing problems.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back