Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

LL for Pool Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelPE

Structural
Mar 9, 2006
US
I am trying to figure out what to use for a LL of a pool deck. The pool is located in a municipal facility with access to the general public. I need to design some shoring for the suspended concrete deck around the pool (at the same elevation as the top of the pool) as the concrete is beginning to spall. The intention is for the shoring to be temporary until they renovate the facility in two years.

I'm thinking 100psf as that is what is used for the public areas of a hotel.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't recall the actual numbers for "live load" but in a public-access, public-playing-and-dancing-while-drunk-and-crowded area like a pool deck, I'd plan for the heaviest possible "stupid load" you can think of.

Then remember most drunks are already more stupid than that.

100psf should probably be adequate. If you reference ASCE 7-10 they recommend 1.5x the occupancy served not required to exceed 100psf for balconies and decks in table 4-1. If you want a little more comfort you can increase the live load but I think you should be okay in terms of justifying it to meet code compliance designing for 100psf. And for the comment above dance halls are designed for 100psf I believe so should be good for that : ). Have to get ASCE to add a drunk increase factor next code update lol

I have used 100psf. If you look at the most common usage I believe it to be conservative. Consider the end of a pool deck that is 40'x10'. This would equate to 40,000lb of live load or 228 people if they averaged 175lb. Each person would have 1.75sqft of space. That is not a lot of space to stand when people want to be comfortable.

I agree with the 100 PSF live load. It is a common recommendation for public spaces.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Are there any short-term concentrated loads anticipated (or envisioned) which could locally exceed the results from the 100[sup]psf[/sup] load approach?
Dave

Thaidavid

I would design a lot higher, maybe 250psf. You stated "intention is to be temporary---- renovated in 2 years", which to me means 'we will fix it on your dollar when it collapses in 15 years'. If they can afford to do the supports, the only thing left to do is to demo the existing, add the proper steel and place new concrete.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back