Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LMZ 210 MW Steam Turbine rotor alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafayat Ahmmed

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2021
BD
Hi all,
I am working in a steam power plant.
We have 1 unit of 210MW.
The turbine comprised of HP,IP and LP.
I want to know the alignment process, steps and procedure in details during a major overhauling.
Can any body shed some light in this matter?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The manufacturer can. You're going to have to set vertical offsets based on the temperature of each section but why calculate all of that when the manufacturer will provide you with the information?

The manufacturer provides the clearance value.
But i need to know the process of alignment in details i.e how to take the reading, what to do to solve misalignment in details.

Most operators will hire out for this service as the cost of the service is trivial compared to the cost of the damage that could be done.

If you really do intend to do it yourself the laser alignment tools are the most common method that I see. The tool will come with instructions and software that takes most of the brain work out of the job. You will still need to figure out your chocking system.

The turbine would most likely not be moved. What is connected to turbine; generator or gearbox/reducer, or other)? What type of shaft coupling? What is rotor speed? What are the required tolerances (offset and angle)? What are the thermal growth values for each connected component? What provisions does the movable machine have for horizontal and vertical movements such as jacking bolts and shims?

If you have never done an alignment job, then start on a smaller machine! I would not rent or purchase a laser system and expect the User Instructions would actually help you align a steam turbine! Get a quote from one or more experts, and be sure the person actually has relevant experience for your job.

Here is a good reference for shaft alignment:

There are other sources including eBay and other references on the Net.

Walt

Shafayet,

If you're asking this sort of question on an internet forum then I'm afraid you're not the right person for the job - Sorry to be brutal, but a 210MW steam turbine alignment is a job for professional, experienced, trained personnel familiar with both the machine, the tools of alignment and adjustment and all the things you ask.

You are not going to learn this from a You Tube video.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank You all for your kind response.
Actually i am not going to do the turbine alignment by myself.
In our plant alignment is going on by russian engineers.
I am just trying to understand the method and procedures step by step theoretically.

What is connected to turbine; generator or gearbox/reducer, or other)?----Generator
What type of shaft coupling? Rigid Coupling/Flange type
What is rotor speed?--3000rpm
What are the required tolerances (offset and angle)?---not known to me
What are the thermal growth values for each connected component?---not known to me
What provisions does the movable machine have for horizontal and vertical movements such as jacking bolts and shims?---not known to me

Shafayat Ahmmed said:
Actually I am not going to do the turbine alignment by myself.

Well you could have saved yourself a lot of grief if you had said that up front....

I've never been involved in something as large as this, but you may well find the precise procedure and means of working in the manufacturers installation and maintenance instructions and procedures.

Either that or if you're the client, ask the Russian Engineers for their procedures for your to "review" or just ask them for a copy.

Then shadow the team if you're interested to see what and how they do it.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I had glanced at a manual for a 30MW GE geared steam turbine some time back. The alignment procedure was quite complex and requires using chain hoists with dynamometers at specific angles to simulate running loads for alignment.

I can understand your desire for understanding. A bit of basic knowledge is useful for spotting contractor errors. I may not be knowledgeable enough to call a stop work order but I'll definitely note what I see in the event a warranty claim has to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back