Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Distribution on plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

roldy

Aerospace
Sep 3, 2012
US
I'm trying to run a structural study and I am a little confused this being my first time doing this. There are 4 identical scaffolds made with A36 steel. The bottom scaffold supports the top three as well as a volume of water having a weight of 15689.59 lbs. I need to figure out the maximum loading a scaffold can support. I calculated what the weight of 3 scaffolds are and added this to the water weight. This is my total loading. I applied a force to all the plate faces using the total option button for the force value. Is the setup for this simulation correct? I'm running the simulation and I am getting high values for the total loading possible. I'm not sure if I set up the study correctly. Attached is the SolidWorks file of the model. I know that I could of modeled a quarter of the entire model to take advantage of symmetry but decided not to. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could take a look at the setup. I am using SolidWorks 2015.

each scaffold weighs = 300.25 lbs
3 scaffolds weigh = 900.75 lbs

water volume weight = 15689.59 lbs

Total weight that bottom scaffold must hold = 900.75 + 15689.59 = 16590.34 lbs

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=563d658f-e800-44c9-92d6-e6fa037e2fd2&file=Scaffolding.SLDPRT
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure if I understand your description.
But one obvious thing when looking at your file is that the loading looks unrealistic.
You put the load directly on the 4 plates which bends the plate's outer edges.
In reality if you put a weight on your structure the stiffness of the weight will prevent this local bending from happening.
You could try to add the weight as a remote mass instead to get a more realistic deformation.

This kind of geometry is also better modeled with beams since one dimension is much larger than the 2 other ones.

I will try the remote mass. My first attempt was using beams but ran into an error, I can't remember what it was. For the remote load/mass is the load cumulative? The total loading value that I calculated, is that applied to each of the four faces I select or is it cumulative?

If you use a remote load and connect it to the 4 plates, the loading will be spread evenly on them (that is if the center of load/mass is in the center of the 4 plates)

I would still have to add in gravity correct? I guess I would need gravitational loading of the scaffold itself while applying a remote load/mass to the 4 plates. Am I understanding this correctly? I have attached an updated version of the scaffold if you or anyone else is interested in this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back