Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load distribution over 8020 crossbars for a tent platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

overl4nd

Computer
Nov 10, 2023
US
Hi
Please see my drawing. I am making a rooftop wedge tent platform, and i am a bit confused about the material selection as well as load distribution.
The drawing makes it clear but to sum it up, I can use just 4 horizontal bars (perpendicular to vehicle roof rails) with 1515 profiles and about 9-10 with 1010 profiles

Once I have the lower frame read, and go with lets say 1515, how do I evenly distribute the load which will be concentrated over a certain area

The goal is to have no more than 1/2" thick material sitting over the crossbars. With 1010 (too many bars!) its easy with plywood as the gaps are 8" or less between crossbars. But with 1515 which is stronger (and I am leaning towards that ) and only 4 crossbars with larger cap (~20") weight distribution becomes a challenge.

The 1/2" or thinner platform will support a 2" memory foam topper or similar for sleeping. The platform is designed to hold atleast 500lbs minimum. So frame strength is okay, but I am confused about load distribution. Esp on the 1/2" plywood (or what else) platform.
Capture_k2lggf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back