Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Flow Study - Available Fault Current and Voltage Regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

StruggleEngr

Electrical
Oct 29, 2021
US
Hello all,

How does a higher available fault current provide better voltage regulation?

I was watching a presentation on a System Analysis - Load Flow Study. The presenter had a slide regarding voltage regulation and that it is the percent difference between the voltage at a certain point in the system at no-load and full load. The presenter mentioned that a higher available fault current provides better voltage regulation but did not elaborate. My guess is why the higher available fault current equals better voltage regulation is because there is less impedance in the system and therefore less voltage drop at the point being analyzed. Is my guess correct, or is there more to the voltage regulation in a load flow study? Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

V/R,
SE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Think about why some systems are called "stiff". In order to be called a stiff" source, there must be a big number of generators connected to the utility--> meaning, larger MVA driving the system! With so many generators in parallel, the system impedance approaches infinitely small and that for a large current going out of the system, there is little to no voltage drop from the system to the load! That explains why systems with high available fault current will also have less voltage drop-->very stiff, voltage won't budge even if the load is quite large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back