Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Panel Purlin - Not working - Scia engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnavy

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2014
SI
Hello,

I am quite new in Scia Engineer and I am having troubles to impose load on purlins via load panel.
I modelled a 3D frame with columns 100x100x5 and beams 100x100x5 and purlins 80x80x3 and when I make the area for load panel and the load is inserted on the load panel the load is not distributed to Purlins only on beams and I wonder how is that?
I even made a load panel 100% laying on purlins but no load was imposed on them (deformation was = 0) see pic in attachment.

Many thanks for the help!

example_hggynn.jpg

PIC:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the load panel there are various properties that you need to change. Try changing the panel type to Panel Edges and Beams (probably currently set as Panel Edges), also maybe change load transfer direction to either x or y (whichever direction is correct in your model) as your panel is currently 2 way spanning (maybe this is intentional). Finally change load transfer method to tributary area. Hope that helps.

Link to SCIA info on load panel fyi.

Ok. Thanks for reply.
I figured this one out and your comment helped a lot.

So with the learning in the software I am facing another issue, now I am wondering in which part of calculation are stiffeners used for calculation. With stiffeners I mean this setting:
I have a HEB profile which is loaded in a was that the stiffeners must help to carry the load.
The deflection without stiffeners is too big due to the load on HEB beam.

I added stiffeners in "steel/beams/member check data" but there was no impact on deflection under the results window.

What is the right way to use this function and to see the results of it?

Any help with this one?

Many thanks FRIENDS!

pnavy, stiffeners like this will not improve deflection results (or moment capacity of beam).
These are web stiffeners which help prevent web buckling (see 1st line on the link you provided).

To help with deflection or moment capacity you would need to use a deeper beam.
If you cant use a deeper beam for whatever reason, then you can use a welded cross section type in SCIA which allows you to select a rolled beam section and then added plates to the top and/or bottom flanges which will help a bit with deflection (this type of beam section will be a lot more expensive than using a deeper rolled section due to the extra fabrication involved).

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back