Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Sharing Ratio Between Retaining Wall and Basement Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdbd

Geotechnical
Sep 17, 2015
DK
Hello everyone,

We are aware that there are lots of theories to calculate earth pressure on basement walls. I will not go into that.

Lets say we calculated that load on the basement wall is F. Now, for example, we have a retaining wall too, in order to excavate to depth of foundation. For a diaphragm wall or pile wall, we know that even we consider 2 years service life for temporary structure, they will continiue to act as a rigid system, especially if space between retaining and basement wall is filled with good quality material.

My question is that: Don't you think it is overly conservative to not include the effect of temporary retaining systems on soil pressures on basement wall?

For example, I am sure that something like 30% of soil pressure will be compensated by retaining wall, if the empty space between basement wall and retaining wall is filled.

Do you know any work on this subject? What do you do, do you just ignore the effect of retaining wall?

Regards.

B.D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In 40+ years, I have never seen anyone reduce the load on a basement wall due to temporary sheeting being left in place. If the wall were a diaphragm wall, steel sheet piling, or tangent/secant piles, you might be able to consider a load reduction, but I would not for soldier beams with wood lagging.

Thank you PEinc, that was what I was asking. If you didn't see in over forty years, it is probably wrong idea.

But I will look into it, maybe a research idea.

Of course, I considered this for pile and diaphragm walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back