Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loading Stresses in a Weld Tee

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroUB

Aerospace
Jun 23, 2003
US
I'm making a pressure vessel header out of a sch. 80 8" pipe and for the nozzle coming out of the pipe I would like to use a butt welded 8" Tee.

There are required loads that the "nozzle" needs to be able to support. But I'm not sure how I can demonstrate if it can support them or not. There are calcs. for nozzle loads and resulting max stresses but these all seem to refer to a pipe nozzle being welded into a much larger dome (not one of the same dia.). Also just the geometry of the tee is different...not the sharp 90* joint that would occur if you just welded a pipe into a much larger dome. Per ASME, the max allowable stress in this material is 17,100psi.

Is there a way (other than FEA) to find what the MAX stress in the tee would be, based on the given moments (3) and loads (3)? Are there any calcs/formulas for finding the resulting max stresses for butt welded tees?

Thanks for any input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try ASME B31.3. Piping designers and engineers have been solving this type of problem for a very long time. The SIFs in Appendix D are what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back