Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Biomass waste 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobM1981

Mechanical
Oct 10, 2000
US
My name is Jacob Martin and I am attempting research on Biomass gasification. To start I need to know what biomass wastes are both local and abundant to my region. I am in Alfred, NY(one hour south of Rochester). Also, I am looking for reports on energy values of these wastes if any have been done.
Any clues, hints, info, or ideas would be helpfull. If you don't know, but know somewhere elts I should look, let me know.

-Jake
jrm1@alfred.edu [sig][/sig]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jake:

Here are a few biomass property databases which should help you with an approximate energy content for your local sources:

Often the best local sources of biomass waste in the absence of devoted energy crops will be byproducts of large local plants/companies: forestry by-products, furniture manufacturing refuse, food processing refuse, sorted residential/industrial waste... you may find some of them already burn their own waste, but many others are probably untapped sources of fuel.

If you have a hard time locating the analysis for a specific fuel, let me know. I am in the process of compiling a North American database of fuel analyses and local fuel availibility, so I may be able to help.

Cara.

i have worked on pyrotechnic distillation of oilpalm shell and coconut shell. the pyrolysate produced split in to two distinct fraction and the gas burns with blue flame. i need to know how to 'hold' the gas.
nabeel
nifor@infoweb.abs.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back