Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Location of Lightning Arrestors in Service Entrances

Status
Not open for further replies.

viswa26

Electrical
Feb 26, 2006
US
Hello

Query regarding location of Lightning Arrestors

I am working on an arrangement wherein the utility provides 230kV supply at their substation. At present we are the only entity tapping of from the utility substation but others consumers may be included in the future. The distance between our substation and the utility substation is about 300 feet(100m).Utility is providing a lighning arrestor at the service entrance of their substation.
My query: Is an arrestor required at the entrance of my substation considering the short length of line between the 2 stations.

Also,transformers in my substaion have lightning arrestors mounted on them. Details of the utility substation arrestor are not available. Project location: North America. Thanks in advance for your inputs

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First , as you told you have lightning arrestors mounted on transformer.
Second, you have to install at entrance of line to protect CT,DCP,CB,DS equipments.
Even though the 300 feet(100m) of distance could be covered by transformer lightning arrestors,
you should be carefull if there is condition of Line Disconnecting Switches opened
and some equipment(CT,DCP,CB,DS) are at entrance line side of travelling waves.

You're probably OK, but you can use the methods in IEEE Std 1313.2, IEEE Guide for the Application of Insulation Coordination to check.

jghrist,
I did not understand.
If you have an entrance of line in sequence: TP,DCP, DS before to connect at busbar, you should include
lightning arrester at line incoming anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back