Location of waler on sheet piles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmalik3156

Structural
Jun 21, 2021
CA
Good day all.

An anchored sheet pile is to be designed.
The question is -- should the waler be placed in front (river side) of the sheet, or at the back (soil side) of the sheet pile.
Both the options are shown below.
Kindly comment on advantages and disadvantages of each.

Waler_lvwjyd.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's worth pointing out that for your particular sketch, a waler would not be required because you have a an anchor at each sheet pair. However, if it's your intent to have one anchor support multiple sheet pairs, then a disadvantage of having the waler on the soil side is that each sheet pair must be connected to the waler by weld or bolts. Whereas if the waler is on the water side, the waler can resist the sheet pile load through bearing, thus limiting fabrication.

Installing the waler on the water side may require a barge/ work platform depending on the site layout and elevations. Whereas waler installation could take place in dry(ish) soil if installed on the soil side.

If this sheet pile wall is permanent, it may be advangeous to have the waler on the soil side. That way it can be buried and the critical wall anchorage is not left exposed (this may be especially problematic if the sheet piles will have boats docking alongside).

I hope this is helpful.

I prefer it on the outside for the same reason MTSOE likes it on the inside: if it's buried, you can't see when that critical connection is corroding and failing. A properly detailed and protected, but visible, connection is preferable to a concealed on in my book.

Also, bearing is a more reliable condition. Bolting each sheet to the wale may be doable, but again...if the bolt fails the wall fails. If it's in bearing, the entire wale or tie will have to fail for the wall to fail.

Thank you all for your replies.

@MTSOE, Yes, my diagram was incorrect. I should have shown the ties at every second crest.
I agree that sheets pushing against the waler is better than sheets pulling on the waler.

@phamENG, the issue of visibility and concealment is a good point too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back