Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lock nuts vs. pinch bolts on suspension links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashman2k2

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2010
US
thread800-234092

In reference to this previous thread, a very well known and awesome suspension guru/parts supplier for the Nissan Z32 has this idea implemented in his products and explains the benefit here:

However assuming the majority of the load is carried through the first 7 threads I would think the strength is reduced compared to the same sized traditional lock nut design. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My thoughts are that this system provides a small benefit during assembly when using a particular component design and a particular assembly method. If no effort is use fixtures during alignment, then sure, you need three hands to do things.

I wouldn't worry much about reduced strength. All of these joints are oversized due to stress concentration of the threads, especially since they are non-preloaded.

That idea isn't exactly new... it's been around for at least 45 years that I know of. <LOL> It's been used on production car/truck tie-rod links for at least that long. The Porsche version is prettier than the clamp typically used on split shaft tie-rods that have been around since forever, but it's the same clamp principle. I personally like the jam nut but both systems work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back