Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Locking Electronic Stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT99

Structural
Apr 24, 2007
US
What software is out there to lock stamp and signature, do they comply with NY and NJ board regs

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was just researching this yesterday as I've recently licensed in a state that has more strict digital signature requirements.

Was hoping for a simple answer but ended up confused.

Would love to hear from people who have a procedure and software with which they're happy for digitially signing and stamping documents.

Up here in Canuckistan, it seems that the only approved provider is Notarius. Their software is decent from a user interface perspective, and seems to provide a pretty top notch level of security and traceability. They seem to serve only Canadian engineering associations, which is surprising considering the small market share of Canada vs the USA. They might be worth a call.

Does Bluebeam have the ability to authenticate the signature? I have Bluebeam and I'm not sure. Heck, I don't even know what flatten means. We usually print the sealed drawing in Bluebeam back to Bluebeam as a PDF. This removes the ability to manipulate the signature, but I don't see how it wouldn't prevent some nefarious person from using the signature on something else..... but then again, what prevented that with an old wet sealed set?

OK, I just didn't know what it was. So it appears as if I "flatten" my drawings. This is what we have done, but I am not sure if it is acceptable... but for my jurisdictions it doing business how the business is done (which I am not sure is a valid argument).

I do know some states require a tamper proof electronic seal. I believe a few people has said this is possible with Bluebeam but I have never been successful with implementation of such procedure. Interestingly enough, I have begun to see these types of seals on drawings from metal building manufacturers.

For many states- flattening is not enough. They need the 3rd party signature authentication.
I have used Identrust- but there is a rumor that they are going to stop supporting this

I am not sure about the rules in the US, but you can save .pdf as a type b for some added security. That is under the process tab in bluebeam.

I use Notarius for the same reason as Craig. My opinion of that software is the opposite of his, but it is what it is.

ENG-TIP_bcsxdc.jpg

Yes there's a difference between scanning a stamp and pasting it into a pdf then flattening it. To have a verified/e-signed/authenticated tamper proof pdf, you must use the "Sign Document" or "Certify Document" tool in Bluebeam: Tools>Signature. You must also have a digital identity. I'm not too familiar with that as i've never had to personally authenticate that, but i've dealt with the certified documents. It can be rather finnicky.

You can create a signature in bluebeam (or acrobat) to digitally sign a PDF - however when you do this, it is self verified/authenticated. Most states that require a digital signature (not the same thing as a scanned image that has been flattened), require it to be 3rd party verified/authenticated. This means you need to purchase your authenticated signature from a company that provides this service. I use Identrust. When you do this, first they verify your identity, then they provide you access to the signature (I went with the USB token route), so whenever I sign a document I have to have the usb token plugged into my computer and I have to insert a password. When signing you can pick what restrictions are placed on the document (printing, editing, redlining, etc.). When you open a signed document it will tell you it is signed and depending on your settings, restrict any type of editing, or allow to edit, but break the signature. For instance, if the field redlines it and saves a copy, when you open it it will state that it was previously signed but has been changed and is no longer a valid signature.

Also, once signed you can look at the properties of the signature - one of the properties is the signers certificate which tells you who issued (verified) the signature. This is where the 3rd party requirement can be checked by anyone viewing the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back