Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

locking taper angle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

njlee

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi all,

what is the standard angle for a locking taper? Does it depend on mating materials?

A taper machined onto two mating parts such that when the parts are mated the frictional forces are so great will not rotate or move with respect to one another. No clamping forces are required to keep the parts joined, but considerable force is required to separate the items. This is an extremely rigid and accurate method of joining arbors and spindles.

lee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have always used 7 degrees as a rule of thumb. This is for steel on steel. It must change for different materials but I'm not sure by how much.

Look in Machinery's Hdbk is the section on "Standard Tapers"
Brown & Sharpe & Morse are locking [~2-3deg], whereas "Self releasing" tapers are 16 deg

The way I remember it,is that approximately 7 degrees (Semi-Cone Angle) is the greatest angle that will "stick".

Morse, Brown and Sharpe, Jarno tapers, etc, are mostly less than 4 degrees a side, See "Machinery's Handbook"

Machine tool spindle tapers that use drawbars or other clamping devices tend to have much higher angles.

I have just completed the design of a Rope Socket, used in the wireline industry of the oilfield. My taper angle was exactly 14 degrees, 7 degrees per side; this was stated above.

She works like a dream. The semi-cone angle of 7 degrees is ideal for reasons discussed above.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back