Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOF at the lowest area the first shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE52

Materials
Dec 29, 2005
IR
hi,
I have another problems for radiographic of first shell and repair the defects in it.
we put the films in the lowest part of first shell and we have LOF in the weld and we can not repair it by grinding without damaging the anular plates.
please help me how can we repair it and was taht right taht we put the film at lowest area (near anular plate)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SJones,
I do not think we should be looking to API-579 to make this problem right. API-579 was not intended to give out get-out-of-jail-free cards as a means to waive code requirements.

Steve Braune
Tank Industry Consultants

afshin108124 entered this information in a separate post:
in addition for former questions our standard is API650 and shell thk. in first shell is 20mm and preheat temp. which is mention in WPS 30'c.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Mr Braune - It's not "giving out getting out of jail for free cards", it's an option that can be examined when faced with a difficult repair. It could be seen as putting some engineering behind defect acceptance criteria that have been arbitrarily established on a workmanship basis. After all, going in to perform a repair could create a worsened problem. It's all up to the owner of course.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Steve J,
I do not beleive that it is an option is this case. The tank must meet the requirements of API-650. I am assuming that it is being built in a locale with tank regulations. The defect cited is not unusual, nor difficult to fix. A competent contractor could handle this. API-653 and 579 were never intended for application to new equipment.

Steve Braune
Tank Industry Consultants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back