Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lofting a Hopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian2

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
CA
Dear Folks;

I've created a hopper using solidworks 2001. I used 2 rectangular profiles on seperate planes then just made a linear loft between them. That works fine. My problem is how do I align the 2 profiles so the smaller rectangular profile is exactly in the center of the larger one when viewed from above or below.

I'm Totally loft

Adrian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Adrian,

What you can do is draw a construction line between the midpoints of the sides for each profile. Do that for both profiles. Place a point at the intersection (be sure that the point is at the centerline of each line) and make it coincident with the origin. This will ensure that the profile center is coincident with the origin. Do this for both profiles and they will be centered with respect to one another.

Good luck.

Generally, Bovee is right, but you don't actually have to creat points or construction lines. Be sure the first sketch is fully defined. The midpoint of each line should line up with the origin, horizontally or vertically as designed.
Edit the second sketch and set relationships so the centers of the lines in the second sketch are also lined up horizontally or vertically with the origin. It may help to create construction lines, but it is not neccesary. Just right pick, select midpoint, then ctrl-pick the origin and the relation table appears as if by magic to set a midpoint horiz or vert to the origin.
Of course, if your hopper is not symetrical about the origin you will need contruction lines to define the geometry.
BTW, when I read your title I was concerned that we were starting an animal abuse thread.

Crashj 'no frog throwing here, mister' Johnson :)

Or even simpler yet, [idea]

After defining your first sketch,

Start your second sketch, highlight the entities from the first sketch, and use the "offset entities" tool.

This way, they will always remain centered to each other.

Thanks folks for your helpful suggestions

Hey SnowCrash, now I'm going to face split the poor thing.
Please dont call the SPCA !

Regards Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back