Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logarithmic sine sweep: how to compute cycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhei

Aerospace
Oct 2, 2015
DE
Hi,

I am running a transient simulation in Nastran. The structure undergoes a sine-sweep base acceleration and I need to compute the number of cycles the structure will se during the whole simulation.
How do I do that knowing the sweep rate (R [oct/min]), the total duraton (T ) and the frequency range (Df [Hz])?

Thank you
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And what have you found so far? I'll assume you mean that num_cycles=(zero_crossings/2)-1

In my opinion the first thing to do is use Df and the number of octaves (T/60*R) to find a start frequency. The simplest approach from then is to model the waveform and count zero crossings, but a calculus based approach is more elegant.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

This equation
num_cycles=(zero_crossings/2)-1
is what I was missing. Since I generated the sweep using Matlab, I could just make it count the number of zero-crossing points and use it in the previous equation.
Until now I was trying to follow the procedure explained in the book written by Wijker, but I was not sure about the result I got (nearly 1500 cycles). I will cross check the result.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back