Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Logo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml13

Structural
Feb 18, 2003
US
My partner and I are in a bit of disagreement about a logo for our company. We don't currently have a "graphic image," just a font with our name. I am of the opinion that because most of our clients are graphics-oriented (architects), a good logo will be an eye-catcher; not the reason they hire us, but a way to gain real estate in their brain. He is a little more of the prototypical engineer that mocks logos as cutesy and unnecessary.

The question is, what is the consensus on logos? I am interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Engineers design machines (or buildings). Companies sell products. A product is more than the sum of its parts. You need to sell your product. Most people/companies do not make purchasing decisions strictly on technical merit

Get a decent logo. Even if you have a great idea, have a graphic artist help polish it up.

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

I put together my business card all in text. My son said "Dad, you're an engineer, shouldn't you have an engineering drawing on you card?".

I have had so many positive comments on my logo that I have to go along with TheTick that it really helps. (If anyone is interested, the logo is on the right side of every page of my web site - if you don't recognize it it is the drawing of a downhole half-muleshoe).

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The Plural of "anecdote" is not "data"

Logo and company name is very important specially when you're starting a business. When you are soliciting work, the first to make impression is the logo and your company name. It should say what your company does and the logo should reinforce the client to do businees with you.

In my third year of business, I bought a new vehicle and this time decided to place the logo on it(The first vehicle didn't have it.) A client then remarked that he saw the vehicle and realized it belonged to our company. It indeed occupies Real Estate in your clients mind.

The logo can be an image or a graphics of your company name. However, the font should look modern and the colors have to agree with your other stationary. That is why you see many companies slightly change the font and often the color of their logo every several years. In addition consider a tag line and place your company's website on all the stationary.

To really differentiate yourself from the pack, pick a specialty and make it your niche.

Case in point:

logo.gif

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Organizations cannot make a genius out of an incompetent. On the other hand, disorganization can scarcely fail to result in efficiency." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

It may be a better example than you think. The usual abbreviation for engineer is "engr" not "eng" and I'm not sure what Pegasus has to do with engineering.
A person who didn't know what this forum is might think it was about english majors or teachers who write about greek mythology.

I use a simple word graphic.

It is my company name with KITSON sized so that it is as long as ENGINEERING and the two words placed one over the top of the other almost touching. See my web site for an example

I used a simple Arial font and placed the words together using PowerPoint.

Its simple, readable and when I have it on hardhats, give aways, property identifying stickers and the like surprisingly recognizable.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back