Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Loher Motor... Ex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecsim

Electrical
Jun 27, 2013
EC
I have to find out if a motor is Ex proof. But I cannot find a Datasheet. The motor is a Loher ENGV132MB-42. On the plate there is a marking saying: E Exe II. Can someone confirm or guide me to the manufacturer datasheet to verify if this is a Ex Proof unit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks. I just read the forum policies. I have downloaded the loher information which I am reading right now. I definitely need to polish up my google kung-fu. I spent several hours looking for info without finding such a useful info. Thanks again. I kinda get interested in the other threads your posted or answered. Impresive long list. I am checking them now.

Since "explosionproof” is typically an NEC, “Division” term, I will tell you that, if the only mark on the motor is E Exe II, it is not explosionproof.

While DRWeig is correct saying “Ex d” is closer, it still isn’t explosionproof; it is IEC “flameproof”. While they are similar in concept, they use different test standards.

The mark as you indicated appears to be ATEX. The first “E” means it is marked for (EU) Zones. The Ex e is “increased safety” suitable for Zones 1 and 2 and the “II” alone is means suitable for all gas and vapor Groups.

In the US, “Ex-anything” is meaningless; it must be AEx. See NEC Section 505.9(C)(2)(3). Again the US domestic test standards are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back