Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loking fo a low flow/low NPSH Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaw1

Chemical
Oct 26, 2008
TT
Folks, I am looking for suitable type, vednor or manufacturuer for a pump of the following specs. Any help appreciated

> Capacity 17 GPM
> Normal Suction Pressure 0-3 psig
> Discharge Pressure 20-25 psig
> Pump suction and casing must be rated for 100 psig
> Temperature rating for pump -20 F to 100 F
> NPSHa 0.56 ft
> Pumping Fluid is hydrocarbon and water, SG 0.75-1.0 and viscosity 0.82
> cP
> 2" outlet and inlet, 300# rated flanges
> Pneumatic (120 PSIG utility air ) or Electrical (480 V, 3 phase , 60 Hz, Induction type motor)
> Marine Environment (Offshore)
> Class 1 Div 2
> MUST be API 610, 7674, 675, 676 compliant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

eeeeww..

Try an air operated diaphragm pump...

They are variable speed, can operate under all kinds of suction conditions and can handle the modest flow and pressures that you you state.

By the may... they consume a lot of compressed air if operated continuously.

-MJC

A gear pump like vikingpump.com may be a fit (and a little overkill considering your viscosity). Larger gear pumps that meet your spec's (API, Flanged, etc...) can be slowed down with gear reducers to deal with low NPSHa.

A half a foot NPSH available is really low. With a minimum 0 psig suction and minimum 0.75 SG I do not see how you arrive at 0.56 ft NPSHa.

Progressive cavity could be a fit, very forgiving if the pumpage has solids.

Canned motor can be trouble make if misapplied; a champ is the right application.

Gear pump may not be able to handle the lack of viscosity. We use them in heavy solid syrups and they do not pump water, may be because the solids increase the clearances too much.

I've always stayed clear of progressive cavity as I've heard the liners can sometimes come loose in big chunks. Not good in the food industry. If you have a filter down stream, though, it may work.

PD pumps like gear and progressive cavity pumps can handle some vapor entrainment and tend to be more forgiving than centrifugals in that regard. So, if you may fall short of the NPSHr from time to time, it may be best to select a PD pump.

I believe; since laboratories small vacume suction pumps are most usually the PD type. I second djack77494 from practical standpoint.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

1)If can not avoid, Modify the suction elevation to improve NPSHa, You can not find the good pump for this service, but I think you may wrong calculation in NPSHa, I guess you should have at least 3 FT, Please check again, I also work for oily water pump offshore from open drain drum.

2) This oily water ( rich water/ & only time by time has some oil, no need API pump Just use ANSI pump much cheaper/low maintenance, and safe enough to operate in utility/safe zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back