Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Long term tension loads on Hilti Powder Actuated Fastners 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

anchorengineer

Structural
May 26, 2009
US
I've got a client looking for a letter certifying the "longevity" of using powder actuated fasteners for a ceiling grid system. I know these fasteners have been used for ceiling grids as well as pipe supports for some time now. I am unwilling to write a letter unless I have some kind of testing, certification, or reference saying why it can be used. I've review AC70, ASTM E1190 and Hilti's ESR 2347 (I'm actually using threaded stud fasteners) and have not found anything definitive. The only statement that is close is in ESR 2347 Section 2.0 USES, where it says that the fasteners maybe used to replace welds and bolts used to attach materials to structural steel (which is my base material) as per IBC 2204.1 and 2204.2. Is this enough? Any thoughts would be helpful!
Thanks!

Oh bye the way, I already asked Hilti and they are still looking...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would this client be looking for such a letter if the attachments were by some other means? Is there some perception that one method is less "permanent" than some other? I assume that you are shooting these into a concrete slab or deck. Why is there any expectation that this is somehow any less permanent than, say, drop-in anchors? I would also be looking into why this request even came up. That might save you some effort, and heartache.
Dave

Thaidavid

Have you looked at the exception in ASCE 7-10 section 13.4.5

ASCE 7 said:
13.4.5 Power Actuated Fasteners
Power actuated fasteners in concrete or steel shall not be used for sustained tension loads or for brace applications in Seismic Design Categories D, E, or F unless approved for seismic loading. Power actuated fasteners in masonry are not permitted unless approved for seismic loading.
EXCEPTIONS:
1. Power actuated fasteners in concrete used for support of acoustical tile or lay-in panel suspended ceiling applications and distributed systems where the service load on any individual fastener does not exceed 90 lb (400 N).
2. Power actuated fasteners in steel where the service load on any individual fastener does not exceed 250 lb (1,112 N).

Hi

Have you considered asking Hilti?

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back