Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking 4 Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecMec

Mechanical
Mar 10, 2004
OM
hi all,
i'm looking for power Transformers that has input specifications of 60VDC and 220A to connect it to data acqu. system,
where can i find one.???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tecMec,

Transformers are AC-only devices. They do not transform DC.

I think what you are looking for is either a rectifer or power supply, a DC/DC converter or perhaps an inverter. No offence, but your post was a little unclear.

The 60V 220A DC - is this the supply you need for your data acquisition system? Are you trying to run it from the mains? Can you verify your figures - 220A is a lot of current for a data acq. system.

Post a bit more info and we can probably help.

-----------------------------------

Start each new day with a smile.

Get it over with.

tx for the reply,
my electrical knowledge is realy bad :)
anyway,
the data acquisition card cannot accept more than 10V

i would like to connect the data acquisition card to the main line, and measure the voltage and current. This can only be done if the signal is conditioned.

i have 48V DC system, (batteries)
and the current running in the main circuit is 200 Amps.

i have seen in some sites DC transducers, i hope they dont mean AC/DC tran. !

So if I'm interpreting your requirement correctly, you want to measure a current of about 200A and connect the measuring transducer into your data acquisition system?

Have a look at the following website:

LEM have a large range of current sensors for measuring AC and DC currents. Robust, isolated, and fairly cheap. The site takes a bit of navigating, but in the "Products" pulldown list, select "Transducers / Sensors" and you are somewhere near where you need to be.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------

Start each new day with a smile.

Get it over with.

tecMec-

Still unclear if you are trying to measure AC or DC, but:

For either AC or DC voltage:
You could use a voltage divider resistor network with appropriate scaling so that the max output is 10V for your maximum main line voltage. Input impedance of data acq (DAQ)cards are pretty high, >1M ohm, so loading effect of the divider may be minimal. Also suggest configuring card properly for you application (single ended, differential, referenced single ended). Read the manual to determine proper setting/wiring.

AC voltage only:
Step down transformer could be used, this would also provide isolation between your line and the DAQ card (see below)

AC or DC current:
1. Use an AC/DC clamp on current probe (i.e. Fluke) with proper current range, provides isolation.

2. Current shunt, no isolation.

AC current:
Toroidal current transformer, also provides isolation.

DC current:
Hall effect transducer, also provides isolation.

Ideally, I always prefer to use isolation (optical or galvanic) between the outside world and the DAQ card- safety and protection insurance (Analog Devices 5B series)

has a lot of resources and technical forums for more info.

Hope this is of assistance.

-Pete

Thnx ScottyUK,
Yes u are interpretation is right.
i was looking for a tranducer not a transformer, [i dont know how i wrote that! i got it wrong in the first post :) ]

analogkid2digitalman
nothing is AC , every thing is DC (DC current DC voltage)

Thanx for your reply guys (^_^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back